Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I thought of Henry today ...

So I read something today that was very interesting. Sadly it reminded me of the Henry Kisor books.

Here's what I read in the Ironwood Daily Globe today:

Body found may be missing Illinois man

HAIGHT TOWNSHIP -- The Ontonagon Sheriff's Department found a man dead Saturday after investigating an abandoned vehicle off Forest Highway 5311 in Haight Township.


The vehicle was registered under the name of a man reported involuntarily missing from Carpentersville, Ill.


Maciej Karwacki, 29, was last seen in June. About 300 yards west of the vehicle, Karwacki was found hanging from a tree.


It sounds like something Steve Martinez would look into. Reminds me of a couple of Henry's stories wrapped together.

It should be interesting to see how he fits into Ontonagon County. Haight Township is the south end, Bruce Crossing - Paulding area. I tried to look up the Forest Highway but couldn't find it on Map Quest or Yahoo Maps. I did find a map of the Ottowa Forest that has all the Forest Highways on it, but it was so little that I couldn't read it. It looks like someone just scanned it in. In fact I think I owned that map 15 years ago. I distinctly remember being facinated by all those back roads and how you can get from one place to another and never have to drive down the highway. You might have to cross the highways but that's it. Anyway, I will have to remember to go to the local Forest Service Office here in Ontonagon. I'm sure Henry's used this type of map as a reference when he wrote his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers